We are Skya and Dr. Traci, a dynamic wellness education duo. We are committed to serve people like you with uncompromising integrity. We are here to help you come to a place of optimal health and well-being. This doesn’t just mean values on lab reports that you don’t even understand. It means an actual experience of clarity, joy, and vibrance that is undeniable.
We have a passion for empowering you with knowledge so that you can make wise and informed decisions. We’re here to help you sort through the muck of conflicting health information that’s out there.
We’re not just speaking from years of academic book learning and researching independent scientific literature. We are also speaking from over a decade of experience with clients as well as our own real life challenges on our path to healing (some of which felt pretty hopeless, confusing and scary at the time). Many have guided us and we want to pay it forward, so to speak.
Dr. Traci has battled with weight problems (lost 50 pounds, kept it off 18 years and counting), severe anxiety, IBS, major food sensitivities (leaky gut), mold poisoning, and mysterious debilitating metabolic issues.
Skya was a pre-med student studying biology and chemistry when he discovered he had an ‘incurable’ auto-immune disease that was attacking his liver called PSC (Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis).
Using the very same principals that are shared through Spoonful of Paradise, we have, each in our own way, healed—not just physically but on many levels—emotionally and spiritually as well. Of course, it’s ongoing — never “done.” There are many layers and it just keeps getting deeper. It is important to understand that we don’t have to wait for circumstances to be a certain way or for our bodies to be “fixed” to experience joy or feel complete.
We hit a lot of dead ends and made mistakes along the way. The solutions often lie beyond what is offered or even accepted by mainstream conventions. Many answers we were seeking were elusive and had to find us when we were ready for them.
True healing can be grueling work, especially because we did not have the kind of streamlined support and insights we are offering here. However, our dis-ease was a catalyst for digging deep, and because of this we have found many treasures along the way. We are so grateful and overjoyed, we can’t help but share them with you!
WHAT WE DO
At home in Hawaii we offer highly successful food and wellness coaching programs to clients. We also teach group seminars called You University, and yoga with strong emphasis on alignment, strength and healing. We are essential oils fans and love exploring their powerful medicinal possibilities as well as fun and effective personal care and household uses. So, we will be offering all of this to you…
With Spoonful of Paradise, it is our mission is to combine traditional knowledge with up to date, independent scientific research to help return nourishing foods and holistic health wisdom to you and those whose lives you touch!
HOW WE CAN HELP YOU
Spoonful of Paradise is based on the premise that paradise is already inside of you. It’s just a matter of accessing it and dipping in. We’re here shedding light on the potential you already have to create a life of health, wellness, balance and vitality. Sometimes we just need to clear up misinformation, add some useful tools and chip away what doesn’t belong so what really does make our heart sing, both physically and in the deeper sense, can become a reality.
We’re also all about empowering you with wellness education! We find it crucial that you have your very own understanding:
- How your body works from the inside out, across body systems and from multiple perspectives
- Including multiple forms of traditional medicine and modern independent science (not inherently biased by funding source and politics)
We are here to help you with the practical day-to-day stuff like:
- meal planning
- keeping a non-toxic household
We also love conscious, functional movement, so we’ll be bringing you some:
- biomechanics/ergonomics (posture)
- other forms of exercise and body therapies
How you breathe and relate to thought is so crucial for shaping your state of consciousness that we also can’t help but share:
- guided breathing
- anything that inspires presence, healing, a deeper love and inner freedom, whatever that means to you
We do not follow any particular dietary dogma. Instead of feeling like we have to stick to one ideology, we are inspired by many approaches that teach about balance, deep healing and get people to eat real food. We love to teach people to listen to their bodies and respond intuitively. We use our intellects as tools at first, to get in the groove, so to speak, but we want to go beyond ideology to a tangible experience.
- We like to look at things from an evolutionary perspective. This includes biological, social, cultural, historical, political and economic aspects.
- We are particularly big fans of Functional Medicine, yogic sciences/traditions, anthropology, and more… We feel great respect for Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda.
- We are also fans of the Weston Price Foundation, Slow Foods, the writings of Michael Pollan (history and politics of food), and anyone who’s into soaking, sprouting, fermenting, organic, local foods and the like.
- We’re cool with Paleo but also eat gluten free grains and are fine with high quality dairy (ideally raw, pastured, organic, especially goat or sheep) for those who tolerate it (Traci does not, Skya does).
- We’re not vegetarian, but we have experience with it so we can help you be a more balanced vegetarian or vegan.
- We’re definitely not into low-fat and are not afraid of saturated fats, cholesterol or high-quality salt. In fact, they are vital nutrients.
COME SPOON WITH US
In our experience, to achieve true healing, you must get through the blocks of:
- Self limiting ideas
- Social conditioning
- Lack of information/ misinformation
- Self sabotage (false self-limiting thoughts)
When people have blocks, they need someone standing on the other side to say, “Hey! This isn’t real! Come on over here and join the party!”
That’s where we come in. We will help you see that you’re never too busy, tired, inexperienced or poor to take good care of yourself. It is our job to help you cultivate an inner self-nurturing and awareness that will allow you to discover what works for you on your journey.
For it to work, it must be pleasurable, feel right, make sense, be practical (doable), and downright inspire you. Why? So you can fully commit long-term and experience the bounty of transformation.
This is ultimately about self love—a love that we are programmed to look for from others, but can ultimately only uncover and cultivate within ourselves. Deciding to nurture and nourish yourself is a fantastic excuses to practice self-love and drop all of the usual excuses that get us nowhere but pain and suffering:
- I’m too busy.
- I’m too tired.
- I’m lazy.
- I can’t afford to eat healthy food.
- Healthy food is boring. It doesn’t taste good.
- I don’t know how to cook.
- I don’t like to cook.
- Anything that blames someone else
- (Fill in your own favorite excuse)
We see so many people, including yours truly, run themselves into the ground trying to help others… trying to live up to other’s expectations… trying to get love from others (if only we were worthy)… trying to survive but missing out on feeling truly alive.
We can best serve others when we are experiencing abundance and clarity ourselves—when we are living examples of unconditional love, starting with ourselves.
So, no more excuses… Come spoon with us and let your love flow!